The Students’ Roof Is Comprised of the Students’ union Government.
The foundation of West Africa students’ union government (SUG) in 1925 saw the birth of students’ unionism.
WASU was formed by twenty one law students in london led by ladipo Solanke and Herbert Bankole- Bright.
National union of Nigerian students(NUNS) was formed in 1956 in the university of Ibadan.
In 1978, NUNS was banned by the then military Government.
Which saw the arrival of NANS(National association of Nigerian students) in 1980 as a replacement for NUNS.
SUG was established in various universities in Nigeria as a co- worker to NANS in securing student’s interest.
• SUG UNIBEN is as old as the University itself. Located at June 12
• The popular June 12 Sug Secretariat was commissioned in June 12, 1993.
• The students friendly sug market was initiated in 2012 by the Famous Comr. Okungbowa Osariemen (popularly called osas)
List of Sug presidents that has served in UNIBEN from 2009-2019
1. Comr. Prince Harrison Ehimiyen-2009
2. Comr. Martin Luther King-2010
3. Comr. Orogun- 2011
4. Comr. OSifo- 2012
5. Comr. Ifidon – 2014
6. Comr. Raymond Omorogbe-2015
7. Comr. Obakpolor Lauretta-2016
8. Comr. Ogbidi Elvis-2017
9. Comr. Charles Idehen-2018.
10. Comr _ – 2019?
(Uniben decide 2019)
11. Chineloma Eleodimuo- First female sug president
Historical days in UNIBEN-SUG
• In 2009, The then Delta State Governor, Chief Ibori was denied access Into the university by protesting uniben students. A protest led by Comr. Prince Harrison, Sug president.
• However, Ibori later found an escape route and sneaked through osasogie gate into the main auditorium.
• Well informed uniben students got to know about it and stormed the main auditorium in their hundreds.
•A messaged was passed and bone of contention was later resolved.
• History repeated itself in a stylish way in 2017. When the Chancellor of the university of Benin was refused entrance into the school by protesting students led by some of the sug Executives in likes of:
•Comr. Ogbidi Elvis
•Comr. Justus Aigbogun
•Comr. Ehabhi Goodnews
• The three listed names added to two other members of the union were rusticated.
Nevertheless,They were reinstated few days later but without calling them back to office.
Sudden increment in fees, Bread, shuttle bus and many other issues that ushered in the need for a peaceful protest after several consultations and consolidations with the management.
HOW COME ABOUT RITA AWELE?
• Halim Rita Awele was a 200level philosophy student
•She was knocked down longside with her friend by a vehicle.
•Sadly, Rita died at the spot but her friend was rushed to the hospital. Badly injured.
• Uniben students led by Comr. Raymond Omorogbe from life science reacted immediately in protest against her death and demanded speed bumps, and a flyover so such ugly incident won’t resurface.
• Request was granted! Those are the speed bumps today in uniben.
• 2019 was another tough year in the Uniben -sug as Five members of the executive arm were suspended by the supreme sug parliament.
Offense:Gross misconduct and negligence
The decision was made by the majority in the house.
Anyways, They were called back to office after some weeks.
There was a time in uniben when all the boys love going to a particular buka because of a beautiful girl that sells there.(old men will remember this).
Quote of the night: In time of political unrest, visit history to resolve the mess. In time of political harmony visit history to prevent the mess.
Prof. Woke soyeka.
RIP Rita Awele
Written and compiled by: